Wow Cartographe
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

AccueilAccueil  RechercherRechercher  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  
Le Deal du moment :
Display Star Wars Unlimited Ombres de la Galaxie : ...
Voir le deal

What's with English DB

+3
nanominus
Reonis
Rose
7 participants
AuteurMessage
Rose

What's with English DB Empty
MessageSujet: What's with English DB   What's with English DB Icon_minitimeLun 15 Jan - 17:01

When will be updated "US" DB to TBC ?
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Reonis

MessageSujet: Re: What's with English DB   What's with English DB Icon_minitimeVen 26 Jan - 23:05

Has Carto been receiving any submissions for the English version for the new areas? I don't want to invest a lot of time noting areas that will be released soon. I can see that the French version seems to be well-covered. Any thoughts?
nanominus

MessageSujet: Re: What's with English DB   What's with English DB Icon_minitimeDim 28 Jan - 12:51

Since the beginning of wow carto, the english users haven't put much effort in noting the maps... whereas the french users are much more found of having their information so they put on everything they need.. even one little mining spot... but it helps... so the problem doesn't come from tixu but from you guys
Reonis

MessageSujet: Re: What's with English DB   What's with English DB Icon_minitimeDim 28 Jan - 17:49

Great, that's what I wanted to know. I was just afraid to find out that there was submissions piled up and not being sent out. I've sent a couple in around the 22nd that denote a few NPCs around the Farstrider Enclave and I'm hoping to see how long before they drop into the main database. That way I can tell if there's a backlog or just nobody submitting.
nanominus

MessageSujet: Re: What's with English DB   What's with English DB Icon_minitimeLun 29 Jan - 1:49

Reonis a écrit:
Great, that's what I wanted to know. I was just afraid to find out that there was submissions piled up and not being sent out. I've sent a couple in around the 22nd that denote a few NPCs around the Farstrider Enclave and I'm hoping to see how long before they drop into the main database. That way I can tell if there's a backlog or just nobody submitting.

tixu has just slowen down the updates thes last 5 days... there weren't a lot of french updates either.. and I've put up about 100 notes.. so I'm waiting.. but they always arrive sooner or later
snarlett

MessageSujet: Re: What's with English DB   What's with English DB Icon_minitimeLun 29 Jan - 4:40

I am updating daily and have seen my stuff in the new DB's. I even deleted spots to make sure they showed up. I have Zabrajin, swamprat and a few other spots finished. The handy tool you can download really helps. You install the wow add-on, use the game options to make a hotkey, target a mob, copy, right click in carto at the spot, paste, and click a few additional checkboxes if you think they need it. Really helpful.
Reonis

MessageSujet: Re: What's with English DB   What's with English DB Icon_minitimeLun 29 Jan - 7:44

Yes, I agree that the CartoTarget is pretty neat to assist with creating notations; but, I get really excited about automating the process. Read Converting Coordinates to see some of my thoughts.
Tixu
Carto
Carto

MessageSujet: Re: What's with English DB   What's with English DB Icon_minitimeLun 29 Jan - 18:00

snarlett a écrit:
I am updating daily and have seen my stuff in the new DB's.

us db has just been updated.

the last week was really hard to handle for me Wink
http://tixu.scribe.free.fr/
Reonis

MessageSujet: Re: What's with English DB   What's with English DB Icon_minitimeLun 29 Jan - 19:16

Wonderful! I'm thankful for this fine program and I'm glad that you had some time to update it. I'm sorry you've had a rough week though.
Robert N Jackson

MessageSujet: US DB not accepting additions   What's with English DB Icon_minitimeVen 9 Fév - 5:30

When I change to additon mode, and try to add an annotation, I get a black box with a message in french.
All of the tutorials and help files tell me nothing about what is wrong.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Reonis

MessageSujet: Re: What's with English DB   What's with English DB Icon_minitimeVen 9 Fév - 12:51

You need to activate the BC areas. Follow the information that Tixu posts here to get started.
milkshakeman

MessageSujet: US<->French   What's with English DB Icon_minitimeDim 11 Fév - 14:02

First of all this is one of the most impressive tools of data-gathering I have seen so far. Congratulations to the people that developed this.

But, as it seems to me, there is a big flaw in the concept when you create 2 databases because of the language difference.
Every experienced software developer will agree with me that the database of coördinates should be language-independant. And then you can make seperate lookup tables for every language you want to support.
The worst thing that could happen is, that you -as an English user- see French labels. But at least the English user is not missing any data, as this is the case now.

I would like to hear the reason of this very strange concept from the developer... but again, apart from that issue - this is a beautiful piece of software.

Addition:
I quote Reonis:
"I've some basic programming skills and I'd love to be able to export data from the French database, tweak the language and then submit it for the English database."

Reonis, I think you agree too, that it would save a lot of work, if you put all the data in 1 database and create language lookup tables?
Reonis

MessageSujet: Re: What's with English DB   What's with English DB Icon_minitimeDim 11 Fév - 14:13

Yes, I do agree.

I think when Carto was first being developed it was created as a French only program. I think it was later tweaked to include an English database to save on recoding much of the core program to have lookup tables. I have no inside information; just what I conjecture.
Tixu
Carto
Carto

MessageSujet: Re: What's with English DB   What's with English DB Icon_minitimeDim 11 Fév - 16:17

sorry for beeing slow on answer Wink
(i will try to explain in my frenchy english, so its hard for me Wink )

first of all, you are right:
databases are clearly separated by language.
So it is not possible to merge French and Us database without screwing a lot of things, because internal ID of information will not match.
The other difficulty comes from the asynchronous method of compilation.
People are sending notes one by one, and other are waiting fews days before sending hundred ones, while main db compilation occurs on week bases (or more, because one of my main concern is to preserve the website bandwich).

Anyway, keep in mind that wow carto isnt an "automatic" gatherer.
It works like a kind of lite wiki. so every information needs to be added manually by someone.
And, when i developped the carto, i wanted it to be used used by 2 kind of people: those who like to gather and share information (seed) , and those who need to find information (leech).
I personnaly really like that concept, and i want to keep it as long as its possible. And, as far as i can see, this method is a success, because thing are sorted by human intelligence. (of course some humans are specially good to fail with that but its another story Wink ).

Now about translating DB:
Imho, i really dont thing this can be done with success, simply because there are too much datas. So this will be boring and pointless.
As far as i can see its really faster to add new localized data dynamically than trying to translate existing ones -without typo error-, specially if you are using the addon cartotarget, i've developped to help gathering things
(it basically uses a copy-paste method to pull information, so it prevents typo error and unaccurate additionnal informations)

About coordinates:
Wow carto is using its own internal world coordinate system.
so there is no way to make them matching easily with the "region based coordinates" of the game itself. So unless i can find an elegant solution, WowCarto will not beeing able to provide such a fonctionnality.

Anyway, as discussed previously: i want to preserve the spirit of cartographe, so do not expect automatic gathering features in the future.
in the best way, in-game coordinate will be in readonly mode in the cartographe.

Edit: ah! and yes i am not a very experienced developper Wink
Its a hobby, and, in fact, i have learn everything while making carto.
and, to be honest, i never though that this soft could become so popular.

the first version was dedicated to an another mmorpg (DAOC), which is far more confidential than WOW, and wowcarto is used a lot of herited methods.
http://tixu.scribe.free.fr/
milkshakeman

MessageSujet: Re: What's with English DB   What's with English DB Icon_minitimeDim 11 Fév - 18:00

Hi,

thanks for the response.

If you look at it from a wiki point-of-view you could be right. A wiki also shows different information depending on the language you choose...
So it needs different communities to keep it up-to-date.

Keep up the good work.
Reonis

MessageSujet: Re: What's with English DB   What's with English DB Icon_minitimeLun 12 Fév - 4:10

I appreciate the response as well. I'm more of a leech than a seed; but, I want to be a more effiicient leech with the most information available to me. I'll have to chew over this for a while.
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: What's with English DB   What's with English DB Icon_minitime

What's with English DB
Page 1 sur 1